Features and Benefits
- Polymer-modified enhancement
- Easy to use, mix with water only
- Smooth handling
- Floor and wall applications
- Floor and wall application
- Use residentially and commercially for tiling floors, countertops, and walls.
- Use with a wide variety of tile and stone, including porcelain.
- Use for interior applications only
- Not recommended for immersion or heavy-duty wet areas, such as pools, jacuzzis, stream steam showers and gang showers.
- Apply when the substrate temperature is between 7C and 35C (45F and 95F)
- Not recommended over pressurewood, particleboard, chipboard, Masonite, Lauan, gypsum underlayments, metal or similar dimensionally unstable materials
- Northflex Pro is available in gray only and is not recommended for setting light-colored and/or translucent tile and stone.
All surfaces must be structurally sound and clean of all substances that can impair the bond to the substrate, such as concrete sealers or curing agents, existing adhesive, dirt, wax, tar, paint or loose toppings. If the surfaces contain these substances, they must be mechanically removed.
Approved Substrates Properly Prepared
- Fully cured concrete (minimum 28 days old)
- Cement backer units
- Masonry Blocks
- Gypsum plaster and gypsum wallboard (properly primed walls only)
- Group 1 exterior-grade plywood, CSA 0121
- Concrete mortars and leveling coats
Note Contact Northland Construction Supplies for recommendations concerning installations over substrates and if special conditions exist.
Mixing (for a 22,7-kg (50lb) Bag)
- Pour 5.68L (6 U.S. qts) of clean water into a clean 18.9L (5 U.S gals) or greater mixing container
- Gradually add the powder while slowly mixing (approx. 5 minutes at 300rpm)
- Mix to a smooth and lump-free consistency
- Wait for 5-10 minutes
- Remix for about 2 minutes without adding more water.
- If stiffening occurs before all material is used up, remix by hand or by mixer but do not re-temper with more water.
- Pick a notched trowel with enough depth to achieve at least 85% contact to the back of the tile. For commercial, as well as marble, granite and other natural stones installations, achieve at least 95% mortar contact on the back of the tile.
- Apply a thin coat of Northflex Pro to the substrate with the flat side of the trowel.
- Apply a second coat and use notch side of the trowel and comb in a single direction for an even-setting bed.
- Do not spread more than can be covered with tile within 10-15 minutes
- Before Northflex Pro begins to "skin-over", place tile firmly into position in the wet mortar and move it in a lateral motion adjacent to the ridges to flatten ridges into a continuous bed. Remove any skinned-over mortar and replace with fresh mortar.
- Ensure good contact and allow at least 25% of tile thickness to be embedded into the Northflex Pro.
- Make all alignments and adjustments within 45 minutes of the tile installation procedure.
- Clean tile surface with damp towel or sponge
- Do not disturb, grout or walk on tiles for at least 16-24 hours after installation.
- Wash tools and hands with water.
- Protect floors from general traffic for a minimum of 72 hours after installation. Plywood or stepping boards may be used after 24 hours when occasional stepping on the floor is unavoidable
- Protect walls from impact, vibration and heavy hammering on adjacent and opposite walls for at least 14 days after installation.
- Pot Life: Approximately 2 hours
- Open Time: Up to 20 min
- Adjustability: Approximately 45 min
- Time Before Grouting: Approximately 16-24 hours
- Time Before General Traffic: 24-48 hours after grouting
- Time Before Heavy Traffic: 7 days
- Shear Strength (ANSI A118.4-28 days): Impervious Mosaic-1,93 MPa (280psi), Quarry Tile to Quarry Tile-2,03 Mpa (295psi), Quarry Tile to Plywood- 1,31 Mpa (190psi).
- Mix Ratio with Water: 5,68L (6 U.S qts)
- Shelf Life: 12 months in dry, heated storage
- Cleanup: Clean with water while fresh
- Color: Grey