Air-Shield - 38 1/2" X 75'
W.R. Meadows Of Canada
Vendor Part # 5115075
AIR-SHIELD is a self-adhering air/vapor and liquid moisture barrier part of a total W. R. Meadows system to complete the building envelope. It is a roll-type product that is nominally 40 mils thick. The membrane's controlled thickness is fabricated from cross-laminated polyethylene bonded to specially modified asphalt. Sold by the roll. Size: 241 square feet per roll.
Features and Benefits
- This unique, self-adhesive membrane, protected by a special release paper, is strong and durable.
- It remains flexible when surface mounted and will adhere to most primed surfaces at minimum temperatures of 40° F (4° C).
- The membrane provides excellent protection as a tough barrier that won't shrink, sag, dry out, crack or rot.
- It offers excellent resistance to punctures during installation.
- The self-healing characteristics of Air-Shield facilitate recovery if minimal damage is sustained under normal use applications, i.e. when penetrated with self-tapping screws or nails.
- Low permability - prevents the transmission of air and inhibits moisture vapor through porous building materials.
- Controlled thickness membrane is ideal for air barrier applications.
- Cross-laminated polyethylene film has excellent tensile strength, elongation and tear resistance.
- No flame required.
- AIR-SHIELD self-adhering air/vapor and liquid moisture barrier is designed for a variety of uses.
- Primary applications include cavity wall and masonry wall construction. Air-Shield works equally well as an air and/or vapor barrier on precast concrete, cast-in-place concrete, masonry (concrete block), interior and exterior gypsum board, styrofoam, primed steel, aluminum mill finish, anodized aluminum, primed galvanized metal, drywall and plywood.
- Provides a complete above-grade air, vapor and water barrier on a variety of construction materials
Surface Preparation: All surfaces to be protected must be clean, dry, frost-free and smooth. Remove any sharp protrusions and repair all defects. All surfaces to receive AIR-SHIELD must be clean of oil, dust and excess mortar. Strike masonry joints flush. Concrete surfaces must be smooth and without large voids, spalled areas or sharp protrusions. Concrete must be cured a minimum of 14 days and must be dry before AIR-SHIELD is applied. Where curing compounds are used, they must be clear resin-based, without oil, wax or pigments.
Priming: All surfaces to which AIR-SHIELD is to be applied must be primed with MEL-PRIME™ or MEL-PRIME W/B primer from W. R. MEADOWS. Primer may be applied to an area that is to be covered the same day. Uncovered areas must be re-primed the next day. See primer container for complete application directions, drying information and precautions.
Application Method: AIR-SHIELD self-adhesive air/vapor and liquid moisture barrier can be applied at minimum temperatures of 40º F (4º C). Apply membrane to primed surface by removing release paper and rolling membrane firmly into place. Remove release paper only as membrane is being applied. Ensure membrane is fully adhered and remove all wrinkles and/or fish mouths. Cut AIR-SHIELD membrane with a utility knife to detail around protrusions and masonry reinforcing. Seal all end laps and protrusions with POINTING MASTIC from W. R. MEADOWS. Overlap subsequent courses of membrane a minimum of 2”. Vertical terminations of AIR-SHIELD should either be tied into the wall system or mechanically fastened with TERMINATION BAR from W. R. MEADOWS. AIR-SHIELD is not designed for permanent exposure. Good construction practices call for application of insulation as soon as possible to protect the air barrier.
Clean Up: Tools, etc. can be cleaned with mineral spirits, paint thinner or aromatic solvent.
AIR-SHIELD should be stored palletized and protected from rain and/or physical damage. Do not store at temperatures above 90º F (32.2º C) for extended periods of time. Do not leave membrane exposed to direct sunlight. Do not double-deck pallets. Store away from sparks or flames. Outdoors, store AIR-SHIELD on pallets and completely cover.
Maintain Energy Efficiency
AIR-SHIELD provides an effective barrier to air exfiltration and infiltration, reducing condensation within the wall assembly and increasing efficiency of a building’s mechanical system. Wet insulating materials lose much of their R-factor performance characteristics, reducing the energy efficiency of the structure. W. R. MEADOWS thermal and moisture protection products play a key role in maintaining the structure’s energy efficiency and aiding in the integrity of other structural systems, such as insulation.